Can a Process Server Serve Somebody Else?

Two Women Who Can Be ServedGenerally, Yes and They Don’t Have to Be Related to You

Process servers have a lot of rules they need to follow when serving papers. There are different rules depending on the kind of paper being served and sometimes defendants even need to be served in a certain order. Most of these rules are “behind the scenes” things non-process servers don’t need to know, but a very important rule is the subservice rule.

When a process server is unable to leave the documents with the defendant, they can sometimes serve the papers on another person.

Leaving the papers with somebody who is not the defendant is called substitute service, or just subservice. We have already discussed leaving papers with a relative at great length. What may come as a surprise is that many states, Wisconsin included, allow process servers to serve non-family members in certain circumstances.

When Can a Process Server Leave Papers with Another Person?

Many of the rules for serving a non-relative are the same as serving a family member, but there is a noteworthy difference. When serving a family member, Wisconsin allows some minors to accept the papers. In the case where a non-relative is being served, they must be an adult. Other than this main difference, the requirements for serving someone other than you are generally the same whether they’re a relative or not.

For more information about serving somebody other than the named defendant, contact Southeast Wisconsin Process.